Here is the amended pandemic bill which passed Victorian lower house yesterday (51 to 26) and has been getting talked about a lot in both MSM and independent media.
Some of the main points:
- Giving the premier the power to declare a pandemic
- Allowing that pandemic status to be extended for up to three months at a time without a maximum time period
- Providing the health minister the power to make pandemic orders
- Allowing for prison sentences of up to two years for people who knowingly breach a health order and cause serious health risks to another individual
- A person who fails to comply with a health order and knows that could cause a health risk to others can be fined up to $90,500, while businesses face fines of up to $452,500 for breaching the rules